I'm a pretty darned good cook, mostly because I work at it. But I'm an extremely messy cook. For a simple one-skillet dish, like this tamale pie, I will somehow make a disaster of my kitchen. I've started planning my experimental recipe days in the kitchen to coincide with my maid's full cleaning days. That way, she gets to do the tedious stuff--chopping, grating, stirring--and I get to do the fun stuff. Then, when it's all over and Mount Melissa has erupted, I get to enjoy my meal while my maid cleans up. Ah, the joys of affordable maid service!
Click here to get the recipe brought to you by Delish. The only thing I did differently were:
- I added diced jalapenos to my corn bread crust.
- I used a Taco Seasoning packet mix to season my meat (and then let it simmer according to package directions).
- I added sauteed red bell peppers to the meat mixture, along with the sauteed onions.
- I only baked it for 10 minutes at the end after I covered it with foil. That was plenty!
- I made my own enchilada sauce.
- When I served it, I added a dollop of sour cream.
This is one of those recipes that is so darned good, you realize that you should have made two.